S-PLANE Automation Pty Ltd (“S-PLANE”) respects and protects your privacy. Our Privacy Notice applies to all persons (both natural and juristic, companies and close corporations) whose personal information we collect, regardless of form and medium. This includes our employees, consultants, and service providers.
The South African Protection of Personal Information Act of 2013 (“POPIA”) protects personal information of natural and juristic persons and requires S-PLANE to comply with the eight minimum conditions set out in the Act.
- Processing Limitation
- Purpose Specific
- Further Processing Limitation
- Information Quality
- Security Safeguards
- Data Subject Participation
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified person, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Personal information includes special personal information, which is a particular category of personal information. While we recognise that protecting all personal information is important in maintaining trust, special personal information is often afforded a higher level of protection.
We collect personal information in a variety of ways. These include:
- Correspondence and submissions;
- Paper-based forms;
- Online (web-based forms and e-mail); and
- Phone calls, Online and face to face meetings.
Certain third-party service providers may collect or check information from or about you on our behalf. For example, where we use external employment agencies, lawyers and accountants.
Visitors to our website
- We reserve the right to collect information that you give to us directly via our website contact forms.
- We may also use common technologies (including ‘cookies’) to anonymously and automatically track website use and improve user experience.
Visitors to our buildings and facilities
The personal information we collect and capture varies in relation to the function of the visit. It may include:
- Your name, address and contact details (for example your phone number or email address);
- Information about your identity (such as date of birth, country of birth, passport details, visa details and driver’s licence);
- We usually collect close circuit television (CCTV) images (and audio recordings, where applicable) of visitors to S-PLANE facilities.
Job applicants, bursary applicants, intern applicants
- We collect information from you when you apply for a job, internship or bursary
- We may also collect information about you from third parties, like educational bodies or previous employers.
Employee general personal and contact information
We only collect personal information where that information is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of our functions or activities. We usually collect detailed personal information relating to:
- about your educational,
- historical employment,
- criminal background,
- any other relevant information such as images of you, fingerprints, drivers licence details, vehicle registration number, tax number and bank account details.
- We may also need further information about matters such as health issues and family members, where relevant to the employment relationship.
Special personal information relating to employees and applicants
We may also collect ‘special personal information’ which is a subset of personal information under the POPIA. Special personal information includes information about the following:
- Your health;
- Your membership of a professional or trade association, or a trade union;
- Your racial or ethnic origin;
- Criminal activities you may have been involved in; and
- Your biometrics (including photographs and voice or video recordings of you).
Use of internet and email
- We may collect information about employees’ and interns’ use of email and the internet to monitor and review e-mail and internet activity, where we believe it is reasonable and necessary to detect abuse or unlawful activity using S-PLANE’s resources. Employees and interns cannot expect privacy in this regard.
Suppliers, service providers, contractors and consultants
- We often collect detailed personal information about your qualifications, experience or suitability as a supplier, and other relevant information such as bank account details and VAT number. We may also need further information relevant to the business relationship, such as quality certification status, financial statements or information about solvency.
Your choices and consent in connection with personal information
- You may access personal information we hold about you and ask us to correct or delete any that is wrong, irrelevant, out of date or misleading. For more information, please read our manual as required by the Promotion of Access to Information Act 2000.
- You also have certain rights to withdraw consent or object to us using your personal information under POPIA, but these rights are limited. For example, if the purpose for which your personal information was requested initially does not exist anymore you may request that the information may no longer be used. We can decline your request to delete the information from our records if other legislation requires us to retain the information.